something from nothing

Greetings and salutations everyone; yes, it is I, Chess the purebred border collie, here to delight and amaze you as only a purebred border collie can. You may remember me from such dazzling and, well, just plain wonderful posts as “Look What He Did” and “It Happened Again”, among so many others.

Here I am in a characteristic pose.010901Nothing happened today. The guy I live with went to the store after our morning walk, and then we took a nap when he came home.

Oh, there really was one thing. The guy I live with bought a software recovery program to see if he could recover the pictures on the memory card that was in my mommy’s camera. The gold strips were really badly scratched, and the computer wouldn’t see anything. But he was able to recover the pictures.

The funny thing is that they weren’t the pictures of Panayoti’s garden that she took the day before she died. We think those pictures are gone forever, but decided to show a selection of what was on the card, instead of just showing a picture of me on the couch. Now, if you ask me, a picture of me on the couch should be enough to make the post extremely excellent; however, the guy I live with said maybe there should be a little bit more to the post, so here goes.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAMy mommy collected tarot decks. She loved the “artwork”.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

That’s it for today. Until next time, then.

20 Responses to something from nothing

1. Kim Bone says:

Yea, your cute. But, a little bit more, is an understatement…
    Thanks for sharing.

2. More perfectly captured water droplets. Good job retrieving these gorgeous photos.

3. petabunn says:

Not only was your mommy an excellent artist but also an excellent photographer, these photos must have made your guy very sad but also happy when he saw them. And of course an excellent photo of you of course…

The camera was an Olympus, had four AA batteries. Surprised it didn’t run on coal …. No Photoshop used with these pictures; they were just uploaded as is.

4. Something you already know, Chess — your mommy had the artist’s eye with a camera. Are those shots from your (former) garden? I like very much the arrangements. What a conversation we could have had about gardens! and Tarot cards.
    Before reading your post, Chess, I read Tree of Life native plant nursery’s summary of the year 2013. At the end of their post is a shot of the nursery dog looking over his shoulder at the viewer. I think that dog borrowed your characteristic cutie-pie pose. Only you bring the *je ne sais quoi,” though. Carry on, dear dog.
    Everyone likes a great recovery progr — SNAKE!

He looked. He knows about Tree of Life. It’s what you call a copy-dog pose. You could say they’re pictures of the former garden, before the Great Upheaval. There was a green lawn, instead of the mess there now, and a mixed border, instead of the messy rock garden with no rocks, and so forth. The green lawn didn’t require nearly as much water as some people claim, just to keep it green, but it looked ridiculous in a dry climate, like lawns mostly do. One third of the mixed border was destroyed by voles, who were asked to leave (they did), and since the guy I live with found the plants growing in the border to be fairly boring, compared to what he wanted to grow, he dug them up.

5. petabunn says:

Excellent camera Olympus, I used to have one before the MInolta before the current digital, have to say I do like the old cameras.

Still have her two Canon film cameras. The guy I live with doesn’t know how to use them, though maybe he could learn. Teaching a n old dog new tricks, you might say.

6. Chess, is someone around who could do a reading of the last photo, the cards turned up? Of course, “don’t care” is a good enough answer.

The impression here is that they were shown for the drawings on them. My mommy contributed to a tarot bulletin board, Aeclectic I think it was called, and reviewed decks.

7. Deborah S. Farrell says:

Wow! It is great that there is a software that can do this and that there is a guy who did do it. The snake was a surprise. So was the blue at the end. I enjoyed seeing all these things through your mommy’s eyes.

The software was really hard to use. It was downloaded in about five seconds, the card was inserted, the software was run, and it found the pictures. It was $39.95. The software had to be purchased in order to save the pictures that were found. Better than taking it somewhere to have it done, possibly.

8. How did you ask the voles to leave?

Step one was lots of blood meal around the tunnel entrances, but step two was piling three feet of sand and gravel on the soil in which they used to frolic.

9. Merino Chesapeake says:

These images from her camera – there’s something ineffable, numinous about them.
    But I’m a cat, so what do I know? Peace to you and the guy you live with.

10. Allison says:

Hi Chess, I am the sister of Tracey, who is one of the regular readers of The Miserable Gardener. I love the stories you tell about your home, the garden, and the guy you live with. My husband passed away a few years ago and my dogs, cat and myself still miss him very much. It is such a gift to have found the wonderful photos that your mommy took before her journey “home” to the Spirit World. Looking at them must bring back some special memories — it’s like having your mommy come back to say “hi” and to remind you of the beauty of Mother Earth and all of her creation, and to bring healing to you and the guy you live with .

My late husband was a Native American Traditional Healer. One of his favourite Cree healing songs, when translated to English, means the following:
    (Keespin ki wah pah tin)
    If again I could see
    (As ki tay min osic)
    The beauty of the world
    (Ahway kumookun)
    I would give a shout
    (Sah sah kow in nook)
    And be ready to move on
    (Oh hey it wan ah)
    It was said

When I listen to this song and its words, it brings me peace. Hugs to you and to the guy you live with. Spring is coming soon, and with it comes new life and new opportunities.