waking up to rain

Greetings and salutations everyone; it is I, Chess the purebred border collie, filling in for the guy I live with, mostly because I do a better job than he does. You may remember me from such posts as “Out Came The Sun” and “I Don’t Get It”, among other delightfully amusing contributions to the blogosphere.

Here I am on a very wet day indeed. I’m extremely damp.

091202

It’s been raining and raining and raining. In some places, like Boulder to the north of us, it rained so much that there has been terrible flooding. I woke up at one in the morning because I could hear it rain, and I was worried about thunder, but the guy I live with cuddled me and said this was rain without thunder, which I didn’t believe, but it was.

He says that in the place where he lived before here, Long Beach, California, way back when (color TV hadn’t been invented and cars ran on regular gas), in the winter, it would be raining when he went to bed, and raining when he woke up in the morning. That almost never happens here. And it never thundered there, even though it did in the movies.

On our walks today, the creek was almost overflowing its banks. There’s almost never water in the creek any more, but sometimes, like when it rains a lot like in the last two days, there is. I tried to drag the guy I live with through the willows where the creek had flooded everything, but he didn’t want to get his paws wet. He said if his paws got wet he’d have to dry them out and put on new ones for the afternoon walk, and they’d get wet too. I don’t have to worry about things like that. I can dry my paws on the carpet he just vacuumed.

Everyone in the garden here has been trying to find a place to stay dry. This red-eyed, wet squirrel is sitting on a little nesting platform my mommy made years ago. I think that’s Pearl, because Earl has a notch in his ear.

091201

I, on the other hand, have been spending a great deal of time walking around the garden getting soaking wet, so that I can come back inside and get towel cuddles.

Rain, rain, and more rain. They say it’s supposed to rain even more. Everything is watery. That’s all there is for tonight.

091203

20 Responses to waking up to rain

1. Oh, you lucky dog — rain! towel cuddles!
    No rain here in forever, but at Beach Yoga we watched dolphins playing in the surf right off Dog Beach. Looked like they knew they were putting on a show. Of course, you’ve got Earl and Pearl and the rabbits and the owls, and one suspects a whole lot more.
    Surely after the rain stops there will be lovely photos of a garden washed clean. Encourage your person to get out there with a camera. Never forgetting your portraits, of course.

2. petabunn says:

You look very pleased with yourself today Chess, doing your bit for the kitchen floor. How nice to have all that rain, without thunder. My person sooo wants rain, but I don’t, I do my bit however bringing in lots of dead leaves on my tail so inside is beginning to look like outside. At least your guy doesn’t have to fill his birdbath I see, nice pics again today.

We just had a moderate amount of rain. A lot, really, but compared to other places, a moderate amount. It looks like an inch (2.5 cm) of rain last night. Normally, Denver gets about that much in the whole of September, where we generally get zero. Sometimes a little bit more than zero, but not enough to write home about.

3. That is a heck of a lot of rain.

It is indeed. It’s very strange to get three inches of rain in three days and say that was “hardly any rain” compared to places that got five times that.

4. Fisher, the Wonder Dog says:

We’ve been watching the news reports with concern for you both. My family had some first hand experience with the flooding from the rains of Irene in Vermont a few years back and it is scary stuff indeed when roads are washed out and hillsides crumble. The sight of roadways being reduced to rock-filled gullies is not one I shall soon forget. That much water is very powerful, destructive stuff and we are pretty much helpless against it. We are all hoping the creek holds its banks and you are spared the drama they are experiencing in Boulder. Not fun stuff at all! Hoping it will soon pass and that you will be treated to a flush of green freshness.

A gentle rain has just started here–they are saying that some crisp Canadian air is heading our way so there go the night bugs for the year. Sigh.

It’s happened here a couple of times, with water lapping at the bottom of the chain link fence in back. The chain link does very little to hold back flood waters.
      It didn’t rain “very much” last night.

We are extremely opposed to Canadian air. Other things Canadian, we like, but they should keep their air to themselves, especially in winter.

• Fisher, the Wonder Dog says:

From what I’ve seen of flood waters, especially those of the flash variety, a chain link fence works just about as well as anything else at holding them back.

We love Canadian air here! It puts us in a much better frame of mind than does the sloggy soup that drifts up from the South and which then forgets to leave. We think their air is what makes Canadians such nice people. Although some might argue that it’s their universal health care.

I think probably the latter. It makes them able to endure the air. And influences their driving.
        Once I was in Toronto, riding in a car, on a major highway, and suddenly everyone stopped, as though there were a red light. I asked why everyone had stopped, and they said “See that guy over there, he’s trying to make a left turn, and so we’re stopping so he can make his turn, eh?” I said that in Denver everyone would aim for the right front tire.
        The only other place where the drivers were so non-aggressive was on I-5 between Portland and Eugene. Actually, the New Jersey Turnpike was pretty pleasant, too.
        Both of those places are closer to Canada than here.

• Fisher, the Wonder Dog says:

My grammy’s jaw popped its hinge when I told her that you had experienced pleasant drivers on the Jersey Turnpike. She says clearly things have changed since her formative years in the Garden State. Back then the rule was that you don’t take your foot off the gas as long as there are cars ahead of you. Maybe losing the shore to a hurricane and now a fire has left them stunned—temporary condition, she is sure. If its Jersey, rudeness and bad tempers will forever prevail, or at least so she thinks. I have, personally, have no opinion on the matter

This was back in the last century. 1999 to be exact. No one driving 20 mph below the speed limit in the fast lane, no tailgating, just driving.

5. Vivian Swift says:

I heard about the Boulder floods on NPR and thought of your creek. We got a bit of that rain last night and it was heavenly, but then it stopped and that was heavenly too. If you saw the Jets/Patriots game on TV last night you saw our rain. I imagine that a purebred border collie also thinks this rain is heavenly — it’s in the DNA to love a good rainy day.

Earls, Pearls, owls, and a blogging DoG…all you need is a sundial and you’ve got a frabjous tulgey wood going on in your backyard. People who are kind to squirrels are the best people in the world.

The guy I live with knows who the Jets are. That’s the extent of his knowledge.
      We have a squirrel named Merle, too. Three is a crowd, he says. Look at the post “after the sale” to see what a jerk Earl is. And “it’s all about me” for a portrait of Pearl, who only thinks about herself.
      Hmm, they’re like people. It’s starting to rain again.

6. pamit says:

I saw there was a “pre-evacuation” notice sent out to some Lakewood residents (near Lena Gulch) but it was cancelled. Up here on Lookout I got a few leaks and a bit of wet carpet, but nothing too serious. It really is an amazing amount of rain. In three days we got half a year’s worth. They are saying it’s a 100-year-flood event in Boulder; my friend had his car washed away in a mudslide. Yowza! The blue sky out there right now feels like heaven. Stay dry Chess…I mean wet!

• melanie says:

Soda Creek rd (cnty rd 140) in Idaho Springs has partially washed out, as has Little Bear Creek rd. It took me 15 minutes to get the 2 miles from my house to Miner st. Scary stuff, all that water. I’m hoping it’s passable when I go home.

The blue sky is vanishing here. I noticed how warm it got, suddenly, when the sun appeared.

• Fisher, the Wonder Dog says:

Here’s hoping you and the guy you live with awaken to clear blue skies and a garden in full green mode. Maybe the cacti will even burst into bloom–aren’t they supposed to do that after it rains? Can’t wait for the pictures!

Too late for cacti to bloom, I think. That would be counterproductive since they need to start thinking about losing water from their cells pretty soon. What we wait for at this time of year is autumn crocus and cyclamen. Very exciting stuff.