up the wall

Greetings and salutations, everyone; yes, once again it is I, your popular host, Mani the purebred border collie, here today to let you know just how little has been going on here lately. You may remember me from such similarly-themed posts as “More Endlessness”, among so many, many others.

Here I am in a characteristic pose.
You can see that the snow is still here.

And now it’s snowing again. The guy I live with says this might drive him up the wall, which I might like to see.

“Another endless winter” is what I keep hearing. The guy I live with says this could very well be the first February in memory where there are no snowdrops in the shade garden. A lot of them were up, before they got covered with snow back in January.
There was one snowdrop pathetically trying to flower in an almost snowless part of the garden, just today.
The enthusiasm for snowdrops started years ago, when winters didn’t have so much snow, but now the guy I live with is beginning to wonder if this is all worthwhile.
At this time fifteen years ago, there would have been snowdrops, crocuses, and hellebores in flower, but now there’s just snow. Nothing but snow. The snowdrops would all be finished by the end of March.

Until last night, though, the weather was pretty nice. It was almost sixty degrees yesterday, but that wasn’t enough to melt the ice and snow.
The weather changed by late evening.
The guy I live with did fill the bird feeders, again, today, when it started to snow, which I guess counts as working in the garden. I helped.

These arrived in the mail today. Not all of these seeds are for our garden. He’s going to try Lilium candidum from seeds this year, because the bulbs he ordered last year, to add to the ones already in the garden, never arrived.
Oddly, the letter that was in the mail box wasn’t picked up.

These came in the mail the day before that.
The guy I live with was going to post this picture on Facebook, because, you know, it’s snowing and this is hot sauce, but invariably someone would have made a comment that they couldn’t tolerate hot chili peppers, which the guy I live with would have thought was pretty dumb, because these bottles are staying here. For a while, anyway.

I’ve never had hot sauce, but I hear that Flurry, the first purebred border collie who lived here would lap it up. Maybe I should try it some time. The guy I live with says he’s not going to offer me any, even though he says it’s “not all that hot, compared to other things”. Like the ghost pepper sauce they offer. “Compared to other things” doesn’t mean much to me.

There is plenty to do indoors, anyway, while it’s snowing. I prefer napping. The TV is on a lot, because the guy I live with likes to hear human voices. There are a lot of compact discs in the house, so there’s music from time to time. And even more books, but he doesn’t read much, unless it’s a book on music. He used to read a lot, decades ago, and when his wife was here he read a lot of gardening books, but not any more.

Her memory is kept alive partly by the books she owned. The guy I live with hasn’t read many of them. This is one:
He remembers the day she bought this book, and a couple of other old Everyman’s Library books.

The other day, he found this book, which had fallen behind something. Another old Everyman’s Library book. It was his grandfather’s, and is in pretty bad shape. I guess it was used a lot, maybe a hundred years ago.

He keeps it for sentimental reasons. There isn’t much of anything that’s relevant for this climate, or so I hear.

I guess I’m rambling now. We purebred border collies are supposed to be highly focused, but we do get distracted, like say by squirrels, or in this case, hot sauce and books.
I’ll leave you with a rather atmospheric picture of me.

12 Responses to up the wall

1. barbk52 says:

The weather here is quite wrong also. Sun every day and no rain for a month and a half. If the garden isn’t doing its job it makes for a long day. I hope you are helping to add some cheer. Send some here. Some doggy cheer. One of the girls has always been sickly and now she has Cushing’s disease. She had a bad reaction to the medicine, which is quite harsh, and so we tried acupuncture today, and we will use that plus Chinese herbs and a high protein low carb diet. They charge more per pound for low carb treats than they do for the finest steak, did you know?
    Oddly, I received JL Hudson seeds today too. A fascinating catalog.
    Your snowdrop picture at the top of the blog makes quite a contrast to the current picture.

Oh dear. The guy I live with said he remembers when his wife said once how she hated it when things went wrong with the dogs.
      I hope the herbs and diet do the trick.
      I would send some cheer, but I’m getting into a little trouble wanting to go out, then in, then out, then in, when it’s snowing. There isn’t much else to do.
      The snowdrop picture was taken right about this time of year, so all this snow is really getting to the guy I live with. It used to melt, in between snowfalls, but not any more. It doesn’t get warm enough.
      The Hudson catalog is great. I guess he’s going to try to grow some melons. Navajo Yellow. That will be interesting, because usually all these attempts to grow annuals, herbs, and vegetables amount to nothing. They never get enough water.

La Honda? Those seed came from La Honda? Gee, I should get out more. La Honda is not very far away, but I have not been there in many years. I am not familiar with that seed supplier. Renee’s Garden seed is right her in the neighborhood. The office is right across the road. Renee lives right up the road.

3. Bruno Baudino says:

Hi Mani, I’m happy to see you in good health! Here, spring is already upon us. The carousel will take another turn. Greetings from the Alps

4. Paddy Tobin says:

A month or more of the garden being covered in snow would send me up the wall and across the ceiling – there’s a vision for you! The old gardening books can be very interesting; not relevant, perhaps, but interesting to read nonetheless.

The guy I live with spends most of the time feeding the birds. They eat a lot. I do have to hear the complaints, of course, but I like the snow.
      He says there are some really good gardening books, like Farrer’s In A Yorkshire Garden, which is about the funniest gardening book ever. I heard that he read it out loud to his wife and they were both doubled up with laughter.

• Paddy Tobin says:

Feeding the birds is a morning chore here also. I have pheasants which demand peanuts, ordinary bird food is not good enough for them. They follow me around the garden calling for food!

The guy I live with says he used to see pheasants, in the empty lot near where his parents lived, when he was a kid, but we don’t have them here, even though there are fields which they might like.
        Peanuts are illegal in our yard, because squirrels get them, and dig up his precious bulbs in the garden to bury the peanuts, of which they only find a small percentage later.
        (The squirrels we have in our garden are fox squirrels, which came from “back east”. The guy I live with says they’re “incorrigible lowlifes”. Colorado has two others, Abert’s and pine squirrels, but they live in the mountains.)

• Paddy Tobin says:

We are living here over thirty years and I have seen a squirrel (a Red Squirrel) on one occasion only! Perhaps, this is just as well as I wouldn’t welcome them digging up bulbs in the garden either.

We definitely have them here. They migrated from the east. One who lived here some years ago, Earl, was a real jerk, as were his pals Merle and Pearl.
        But I like to bark at them, for exercise.