another rough day

Greetings and salutations, everyone; yes, once again it is I, your popular host, Mani the purebred border collie, here today to tell you my tale of a very rough day indeed. You may remember me from such similarly-themed posts as “A Handful Of Dust”, among so many, many others.

Here I am in a characteristic pose.
Here’s another picture of me later in the day, checking on the sprinkler.
The garden is bone-dry now, after yesterday.
We were under a Red Flag Warning most of the day. It was scarily windy. I was too frightened by the wind to go out, even though the guy I live with said he would go with me. The highest recorded wind gust was “only” 58 mph (93 kph), but it’s been fairly dry here and so there was cause for worry.

The guy I live with double checked our bags. Mine is the one on the left.
At one point, yesterday afternoon, the guy I live with walked outside and smelled smoke. He walked out the front door and into the field to see if he could see anything.
Later he said he saw blowing dust to the west, but now he thinks it was smoke, because there was a fire about six miles northwest of us, near Red Rocks.

Everything was calm by six in the evening.

After the longest winter either of us has ever seen, almost the first nice day brings us wind and critical fire danger. The guy I live with said if this sounds discouraging and depressing, that’s because it is.

There’s a seventy percent chance of snow this coming Tuesday, which will probably evaporate by the time Tuesday arrives. That’s what’s been happening over and over again: rain or snow predicted, the chances go down every day, and then nothing happens.
It’s “supposed” to be either raining or snowing in March and April.

That’s my weather complaint.

I didn’t think I would be showing more snowdrops, but here they are anyway. Snowdrops in April. The guy I live with says that’s totally bizarre.
This is a large-flowered form of Galanthus plicatus subsp. byzantinus, from the garden at Colesbourne in England. It would normally flower at the end of January, or in February, here.
This one has a label that says ‘Augustus’, but that’s a form of Galanthus plicatus, and this is clearly G. nivalis.
The guy I live with said “Whatever”, since this is beginning to look like a very vigorous form.
The snowdrops escaped from the main herd, now growing in the front yard in an extremely dry location under oaks, are still looking good, though most of these are finished flowering. There were more, but he gave away some clumps.
It really is too weird to be showing snowdrops in April, so I’m going to stop.

The Fritillaria imperialis under the New Mexican olives (Forestieria neomexicana) are up (there’s also one Eremurus robustus). They’re said to have a sort of “fox” smell combined with garlic, but I’ve never smelled a fox and so wouldn’t know.
The guy I live with says that, even before they emerge from the ground, he can smell them. The bulbs have been here for years.
So that’s what I have for today.
I guess the sprinkler might be on a lot, in the next few days, though the guy I live with didn’t like the “feel” of the faucet when he turned it on. Imagine the heavy sigh.
He said the same people who installed the new furnace could replace the faucet, and the one out in front, too, even though it hardly ever gets used. It makes a funny wheezing noise when it’s turned off.
He said if he waters a lot it probably will snow.

I’ll leave you with a picture of me chewing an Ark Naturals brushless toothpaste thing. I really like these a lot.

15 Responses to another rough day

1. Gyselle Sayre says:

To see the snow drops in the dry dirt it is like they never stop trying. I hope you get better weather. Stay safe.

2. Paddy Tobin says:

That weather is scary. We have just looked at the weather forecast here and it seems likely we will have dry weather until Wednesday and hope that will give an opportunity to cut the grass! This is the first such opportunity in more than a month.

The guy I live with said the climate here has become unreognizable from what it was last century. Maybe even just a few years ago. Three straight months of snow on the ground in winter, with colder than normal temperatures, and now we desperately hope for snow, the thing we had become so sick of.
      Not to mention thunderstorms in summer, with the possibly of gigantic hail. Thise would probably be welcomed too.

3. ceci says:

Sounds like a worrisome day and trend. We had high winds yesterday and given the very large 100+ year old trees around the house we were a bit worried. It is a relief to get up this morning to not even a breeze. Glad you have your go-bag packed!

Ceci

Thanks; we’ve had the bags packed since this time last year, but the guy I live with says the contents need to be checked.
      Ans we have another RedFlag warning today.

Now I am wondering what a fox smells like.

5. I like your escapee snowdrops. Found an escapee daffodil in my yard this morning in the midst of the baby blue grape hyacinths. Where I’d NEVER plant it. Nature likes to toy with our heads and seems to have a wicked sense of humor. I sure hope we get some moisture soon. After those horrific winds, the garden is extra parched but I’m not sure I am ready to start schlepping hoses and draining them for the cold nights. Sigh. Have a good weekend, Mani and we hope there are more dental treats for you soon.

Thanks; I get an Ark Natural every day, after dinner. I really like them.
      Another Red Flag day today. And probably again tomorrow. The guy I live with said he doesn’t want more wind, but on the other hand our neighbor has cleaned a bunch of rugs and hung them out on the deck; the smell is so nauseatingly strong the guy I live with can hardly go out into the garden without losing his breakfast, and the wind might blow away the smell.
      Maybe he should try his hand at the lottery.

6. Jerry says:

Very sorry to hear about the Red Flag day situation. That’s what I worry about most up here in Oregon, though we aren’t prepared with go-bags as you two are. Also sorry to hear about the continuing issue with scented laundry. I seem to remember that you talked to them once about it, but that nothing improved. Our neighbor enjoys shooting his semi-automatic rifle for hours on end. We haven’t talked to him about it. I wonder why anyone feels the need to shoot that many bullets outdoors on a perfectly fine day.

Your post did prompt me to do some learning though. I had to look up the difference between G. nivalis and G. plicatus. Looks like it all has to do with how the leaves emerge at the base with G. nivalis being relatively flat and G. plicatus being folded. At least the specific epithet of G. plicatus will help me remember that little tidbit.

It’s funny, we mostly have nice neighbors, and then one who’s not nice at all. (She called the sheriff on the guy I live with, repeatedly, shortly after his wife died, and then had lights installed that shine into the bedroom where his wife died. That kind of “not nice.”)
      The fire business is very unpleasant, and a new thing for people living in the “flatlands”. (It’s not all that flat right here, though.) Not a new things for people living in the mountains here.
      The guy I live with says the vernation is easier to visualize if you have a pencil.The pencil is the flowering stalk.
      Hold your hands upright, palms together, the middle fingers and palms holding the pencil. Bend all your fingers backwards slightly. That’s applanate vernation.
      Bend just the index and little fingers back, that’s explicative vernation. The least common type of vernation.
      Make a fist with your right hand, hold the pencil in your fist, and wrap your left hand around your right hand. That’s supervolute vernation.

7. Mee-yow Mani mee wuud have been scared to go out two!!
    An mee red you were under another Fire Alert today which iss Sunday.
    Wee purrayin youss’ will bee safe an this threat goess away…..
    Guy you are well preepared fore sure….let’ss hope youss’ due not have to use yore “GO” bagss any time soon!
    Mani you look reelaxed inn yore fotoss….a guud thing!
    ~~~head rubss~~~BellaDharma~~~ an {{{hugss}}} BellaSita Mum