my new toy

Greetings and salutations, everyone; yes, once again it is I, Mani the somewhat small purebred border collie, filling in for the guy I live with, and here to bring you the latest news about me. You may remember me from such posts as “Helping In The Garden”, among so many others.

Here I am in a characteristic pose. I scratched myself under my left eye, probably chasing squirrels, which are quite chaseable, but the guy I live with says it will be okay. morningReally not very much has been happening at all lately. There’s been a lot of planting, and watering, and forgetting to water new plants, and moaning when it turns out they’ve fried, but it hasn’t rained here at all since July 11, so what does he expect? Best not to speculate, I say.

I got a new toy today. It was supposed to have something called “chew guard”, but me being The Chewist, I’ve chewed a hole in it already.IMG_7774

That’s what toys like that are for. The guy I live with said he guess so, with a sigh. I’ve chewed all the toys completely to pieces, which I understand is what I’m supposed to do. The guy I live with says it makes me happy, which is all that matters.

Other than that, well, let’s see. Lots of planting, as I said, and lots of complaining about the honey locust pods, which I haven’t tried yet, though I heard that all the other purebred border collies who have lived here really enjoyed snacking on them.

And I guess there was this scary visitor who appeared in the tree across the street. The guy I live with posted this picture on Facebook, but you can see it here, too. visitorPretty scary indeed, huh. The guy I live with says that that’s what the poles in the “way back” are for, for these scary things to land on, and survey stuff, but hopefully not survey me, if you know what I mean.

That’s really all I have. Not much of a post, I know, but I thought I had to say something. I’ll leave you with a somewhat slanted picture of me, doing what I do best.morning

20 Responses to my new toy

1. Tracey says:

I always wondered about those indistructable dog toys.

If you can scare a raccoon, you can scare an owl. Purebred border collies can do anything. I have some rescue owls coming to my branch in late October. I will be thinking of you.

I hope you get some rain soon so your guy won’t beat him self up for not watering. We have been dry here in NYC. Fortunately no wildfires.

Well, the guy I live with said the toy was protected against my dreadful white gnashers, but he was wrong. As usual. It has to have an operation now. There’s a toy hospital downstairs. He says that some of the stuffed toys can’t be saved, like Nippo the Hippo, whose insides were strewn all over the back yard. I tried to explain that being a Chewist means “chewing and strewing”, but he didn’t care much. It’s pretty dry here. 85 degrees, and nine percent humidity.

2. Mani the master masticator! What a talented somewhat small
    border collie you are.

Thanks; I agree. You should see the things that have expertly-chewn holes in them now. The guy I live with says I get overly excited. We purebred border collies are by definition overly excited, at least when we’re little. The guy I live with says that Slipper would chew on wood when he got excited, which is why the wood on the patio looks like a giant rodent lived here.

3. Barb K says:

Mani, you don’t look very small in that video, not even somewhat. I don’t know why I can’t watch them on my computer any more, but I can watch them on my phone. The world is “mobile friendly” I guess. We would like to hear more about the plants going into your garden and are hoping for more news when things are not so busy. I’m sure you are helping with the chores. A friend got the girls a toy that rolls around and makes a maniacal laughing sort of sound but after the initial frenzy they got bored with it. They weren’t able to chew through it though. Owls are a little scary. At our old place in the country there was a lot of noise out on the deck one evening. An owl had a small bird cornered and the bird was panicking, not surprisingly. I had to interfere. I didn’t feel right depriving the owl of dinner, and nature is nature, but you know. Or maybe you don’t. If you could catch ’em, you’d eat ’em, right?

I don’t know that owls would be very tasty. I had an apple the other day, and that was very good. I’m kind of partial to bugs, though, as a nutritional supplement, of course. I’m still little, but I have long legs. The guy I live with lets me jump up on him, which I like, and he says some people don’t, but I’m super friendly, and that’s why I do it. Except at the front door, where my deadly viciousness terrorizes all who approach. I generally go “Ruh!” and they flee at once.

4. Deborah S. Farrell says:

I thought about your honey locust pods the other day because we got a new puppy, and he loves to chew on all the magnolia seed pods in our yard — so many I can’t get rid of them! They sort of look like small, pointy pine cones. I checked to make sure they aren’t poisonous (they aren’t) before letting him play with the pods. He found the basket o’ toys the other day, and now there’s never a dull moment unless he’s asleep. He is very little but growing fast. Last Wed. he weighed 10 lbs. Today he weighed 12 pounds. That’s a 20% increase in 6 days! He’ll be your size before I know it!

Yes; one of the reasons why we puppies grow so fast is a steady of seed pods, dirt, wood, plastic, bugs, and all sorts of other stuff. I like the idea of never giving the guy I live with a dull moment ….

5. In the first photo, Mani, you look like you are in healing mode. I love the way you snuggle between the pots in the last photo. You are the jumpingest dog! I take it your toes are soft and retractable or perhaps the guy you live with has steel skin. The toy play looks like a pretty good workout for you both. Remember when you got the new Lamb Chop? Since my doggies should be every bit as spoiled, I went on line and procured two. I am not the guy and there is no toy emergency room here or basement. The two Lamb Chops are in tatters, but they are still the ones Petey and Shredder choose from the basket to greet us with at the door. So, Mani, what is the name of the new toy so I can commence the hunt? Oh, brilliant thought: perhaps there is an owl chew toy out there too.

Thanks; indeed, I do like to jump up on the guy I live with, but the funnest thing is to leap through the air and chomp the daylights out of him. Love bites, you understand. Im not really a purebred border collie like I said, I’m part velociraptor. I kind of understand that there are backup Lamb Chops downstairs, never chewed on, but there are so many toys here I don’t think I need them right now. The Lamb Chops are best when they’ve been altered a bit, you know. The other place is here. My vicious gnashers chewed a hole in the toy’s butt, and that needs to be fixed, by I am a Chewist. And velociraptor. http://www.godogfun.com/

• Ooh ooh, Mani, you are a dog of many qualities, thanks for the site. There is an Irish Shop here in the village that shows off a Lamb Chop that they claim in the window card speaks nine words, five more than Petey and Shredder manage. I’ve been afraid to go in an investigate.

Sure. I don’t think I would care for a talking toy. I mean, I live with something who talks incessantly.

6. You can jump up on me anytime, and we will dance together.

7. Previous post, because I was too late to comment: The garden looks gorgeous, love the rock garden and everything. The fence is impressive! Tell your guy my ex, a carpenter, used to say “I cut it twice and it’s still too short!”

Ha ha, very funny. The guy I live with tells stories of the lady of the house, measuring and measuring and measuring, and then measuring some more, and everything fit with no gaps or anything, and he learned his lesson there. Everything here is really super-crispy. The guy I live with has been watering, mostly while I’m at Day Care playing with my friends, and he said the water bill was ten dollars higher than usual. Well, that’s because normal people would wait until later to plant, when it’s cooler, and rain or snow is in the forecast. It smells like rain here, now, but it isn’t going to rain.

8. “The fast learner” was an excellent post indeed, and the advantage of reading the posts later is that I get to read all the informative comments.

Thanks. The guy I live with went to his pre-diabetes class, paid attention, didn’t hog the class by answering all the questions and stuff like that (he’s usually the first one to speak up at things like that, a sharp contrast from the way he was forty years ago), and now promises to be good. “Rabbit food from now on”, is what he says.

9. Re ‘The Project”…I got kinda choked up remembering Chess. Thank goodness for you, Mani, to make things better.

I’d like a fence that would keep out the NOISE of pressure washers, lawn mowers, and an extra loud weedeater that a neighbour just replaced her quieter one with! Lawns don’t really need to be mowed every THREE days and driveways do not really NEED to every speck cleaned with a pressure washer. Just saying.

Thanks. I think you have perfect understanding here. The guy I live with says he would like a fence that would keep out the overpoweringly strong smell of laundry detergent, fabric softener, air freshener, body spray, cheap perfume, and things like that, or “at least be able to ignite them”.