for whom the bedclothes

Greetings and salutations, everyone; yes, once again it it I, Mani the slightly small, though not entirely miniature, purebred border collie, filling in for the guy I live with, and here to bring you the latest news from our garden. You may remember me from such posts as “My New Toy”, among so many, many others.

Here I am in a characteristic pose.15121209Up until today the weather was pretty nice, and there were lots of crocuses in flower, but today it started to snow. 15121210That’s me in the picture below, there, just being myself.15121211Here I am again. The lens did funny things, but not funny ha-ha, if you know what I mean.15121212The irises are growing pretty well. The ones he sowed seeds of earlier, that is.sariThere was a snowdrop flowering today. You may think this is early, but it’s actually a month late. It’s an early-flowering one, but late. It’s name is….get this….Galanthus elwesii var. monostictus Hiemalis Group. No, seriously. “Hiemalis” is Latin for winter. elwesiiIt snowed a lot more, and the guy I live with pretty much just sat here, though he did shovel, and I got to go on my walk, later. Here I am, on my walk.15121208Here’s a tree with some leaves that are still there. 15121202I guess they don’t know they’re called “leaves”, huh. That’s purebred border collie subtle humor. Guess who I learned it from? Like when a couple of ducks flew right over our heads, and the guy I live with said “Duck!”, and then said that’s where their name came from.

I walked under the kind-of-scary, or possibly just eerie, willow, on the canal road.15121203We went down the creek path, while it was snowing. There weren’t any owls out tonight. You can see the path, right there. We made that all by ourselves. Most people walk on the path at the right, but it doesn’t lead to anything interesting.15121204This path leads under an even eerier willow. We didn’t go under it this time, though, because according to the guy I live with, I heard a strange noise, and wanted to turn around. I don’t think that’s what really happened. I think he was getting cold.15121206There’s still water in the creek, but the level is much lower now. There’s almost never water in the creek at this time of year, but this is my first “this time of year”, so I wouldn’t really know. I do know this picture isn’t in focus, but the guy I live with says it’s “atmospheric”. 15121207So that was pretty much my day. I did have an opportunity to spend some time on the bed, and that’s why the title of this post is so funny. The guy I live with put the sheets from Pottery Barn, the ones that the late Chess slept on and loved, back on the bed, and even though they were ultra-wrinkled, and clean, I enjoyed them a lot, too. You can see that I’m doing that, right here. 15121201

14 Responses to for whom the bedclothes

1. Barb K says:

You’re lucky to sleep on those sheets as I’m sure you know. They belong in a shrine. Well after all the talk of creepy willows I’ve taken steps to obtain a book of LeFanu’s ghost stories from the library. I hope it’s the right one because it’s the only one they have. We have flood watches here in Oregon and it’s supposed to turn to snow tomorrow and after it gets done with us I imagine it will be heading for you. It might be a while before you see those crocus flowers again. In that third picture I had to look hard before I spotted you. Your colors blend well with the winter garden. Does that help you in your efforts with the squirrels or do you make too much noise? Do you absorb anything from that wall of books you sleep beside?

Thanks; yes, I know I’m lucky, especially since I chewed a hole in them when I was younger, and nothing was said. The guy I live with says Algernon Blackwood. But Le Fanu is classic too. He says you want The Willows by Blackwood, and also The Wendigo. Yes, we have seen news of rain and flooding in the northwest. The guy I live with says that squirrels can climb trees, which I’ve noticed, and which is quite annoying. I’ve also discovered mice, and they’re a lot of fun to chase. The books are almost entirely illustrated children’s books. That is, illustrated books for children. They were here when I showed up. The guy I live with says he’s used to seeing all the titles there, and likes having something he’s used to, and something new, like me.

• Barb K says:

I’ll see to those books right away, thanks. Plenty of reading weather coming up.

Indeed. The guy I live with says to check out Great Ghost Stories of the World, edited by Alexander Laing. There are others, too, but that would require a great deal of research among the many dusty volumes on forgotten shelves, in the house here.

2. Barb K says:

Since no one else has commented yet I’ll just monopolize the section and say how we’ve tried and tried and cannot see many of the book titles. We are so interested as we love old children’s books. We have all the Oz books and anything illustrated by Adrienne Segur and some wonderfully illustrated Golden books. More and more we wish to re-enter the fantasy world we enjoyed as children, kind of like your whole life so far, right Mani?

Thanks; maybe my life is like that. There are lots of children’s books, Uncle Wiggily, stuff like that, and then a bunch of other things. The ghost story book is the green-spined one fourth from the left just above me.

3. christine says:

Thanks Mani and TGYLW! Love the title (chuckle chuckle) and the walk at dusk and your tribute to the historic soft Pottery Barn sheets. Thanks for sharing your insights and your increasingly elegant self with us and for sharing Chess’s memory and still having his picture up for us in the comments section. You are a light in our lives!

Thanks; well, we are into continuity, in many ways. Though, last night, I chased something on the patio which I’d never seen before. The guy I live with says it was a mouse. I didn’t catch it, but it was different.

4. About the mouse, Mani, we have one too. I saw it skittering as my watering hose came near. We also have a discernible, you know, *hole* in the parkway dirt (parkway: that area between sidewalk and street). It’s deep. No one, city or citizen, can tell us to what it belongs. Now I’m wondering about the mouse-like creature which was skittering in the direction of the hole. We filled up the hole so as to save us from nuisance lawsuits, but it has appeared again. There are various rare creatures around here, and I don’t have the heart to refill the hole. I’m telling you all this because a dominant theme of this blog seems to be “que sera, sera,” and that is my response of choice. Now, about that “even eerier willow,” it is, and if I heard a strange noise, I’d turn for home too, Mani. Regarding the photo itself: We just brought home two fine photos from the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite, photos taken by the gallery manager, and the eerier willow photo would show right up with the other two. The guy you live with is capable with a camera.

Thanks. The even eerier willow had another one behind it (from this perspective) and I hear that it took the eer to an even greater degree. But it fell down two years ago, and got sawed up and carted away. The guy I live with says the hole could be one for a rodent, or something slithery. Though if it gets re-dug, then we would suspect rodent. Ground squirrel or gopher, maybe. Holes in the garden here do get refilled, but not before they are thoroughly investigated.

5. Led by Christine’s clue, I reread your title, Mani. What a witty and literate semi-small border collie you are. A lot of the fun is in the cadence, so you have a well-developed ear too.

Indeed; we purebred border collies are pret-ty darn clever, are we not. We have about eight inches of snow on the ground right now; very delightful.