a short, sentimental post

Greetings and salutations, everyone; yes, once again it is I, Mani the reasonably large, yet not gigantically huge, purebred border collie, filling in for the guy I live with, and here to bring you a short, sentimental post. You may remember me from such posts as “Cabin Fever”, among so many, many others.

Here I am in a characteristic pose. I’m not really asleep; just pretending.16021501I would have done a short post about how I met Norm, the coyote, today, on my morning walk, but the guy I live with didn’t have his camera, of course, and I was so excited about wanting to meet Norm (which the guy I live with said I couldn’t really do) that we had to cut the walk short so the guy I live with could recover from the strain.

I was on the north side of the canal, on the canal road, and Norm was on the south side. He didn’t like being looked at, at all, and walked away, and went down to where he came from, walking along on the other side of the fences. I could have met him there, but the guy I live with walked home too slowly, as usual.

Anyway that was the big thing today, me not getting to meet Norm, though we were very close to each other, only separated by the canal.

Of course, Norm was really wary of the guy I live with, who is, if you didn’t know, a super tough Hemingway kind of guy, scary if you’re a coyote, and so I was safe from any kind of coyote attack, because Norm was a little bigger than I am. (The guy I live with is enormous, and walks on two legs.) Norm’s friend Celeste is much smaller, according to the guy I live with. He says I might see her some time, but again not actually get to meet her.

Well, so, even though the guy I live with is super tough, he can also be extremely sentimental, which is why he said to do this post, because, even though after he retired he lost track of what day it is, he did know what day it was today, and thought a lot about his buddy, whom he lost, one year ago today. I’ve heard a lot about him, so I thought this sentimental post was a good idea, too. Sometimes it’s good to remember those we’ve lost, he said, and I think I agree.

Chess, with Ambrose

Chess, with Ambrose

18 Responses to a short, sentimental post

1. Barb K says:

I think we all knew what day this was, too. And I don’t think any of us will ever forget Chess.

2. vivianswift says:

Hmmmm…I’d have thought that Chess’s spirit animal, stopping by to check up on The Guy He Lived With and the new Defender of the Manse would have been winged (eagle or hawk — sharp-eyed, air borne) but yeah, a coyote makes sense too.

Dear sweet Chess: He was a good DoG, and that’s as good as goodness gets. I’m happy to remember him, especially, on this day.

3. Mark Mazer says:

In today’s news: “Many coyote attacks on animals and people happen when the coyote sneaks up from behind,” Hughan said. “Also, when you let your pet out late at night, go into the yard with the pet. Don’t just open the door and let it run out. A coyote can jump over an 8-foot fence, grab a small dog or cat and be gone before you even know it’s there.”

Westminster finals tonight. Hope ya’ll get to watch.

4. christine says:

With gratitude and full hearts, we remember sweet Chess. Mani, you are a welcome, uplifting addition. You are daily comfort and joy! Thank you for sharing the exploration of your world.

Thanks; the guy I live with says I am a worthy successor to Chess, though I need to settle down just ever so slightly. I guess that happens with age. I mean, look at the guy I live with. He hardly does anything.

5. Oh, dear sweet Chess. Thanks for your sharing sentiment, Mani. He was a special dog with a special piquant voice.
    You have your own voice, Mani, and your own special unsettled velociraptor take on life.
    I’m extra-hugging Petey and Shredder today in memory and in honor.

Thanks; extra hugs are always good, aren’t they? The guy I live with has been doing some “pre-spring clean-up”, which means tossing rotted plants (there are a lot of them, I guess), and being all Hemingway about it, so he says. “It rotted. It lay on the ground. And then it rotted.” I guess we’re back to the usual routine.

6. Knicky Twigs says:

Beautiful post. Memories sweet and sad. How wonderful to have a not-quite-huge pure bred border collie with whom to discover canine cousins and share the days.

Thanks; the guy I live with was somewhat sad that day, and so I had to ask. It was 70 degrees here yesterday (21C), and I was Star Student again, and the guy I live with is not sad about either of those things.

7. I think of Chess so so often, even though Mani is also so very special. Chess was a very good imaginary friend of mine.

8. Marcia Blum says:

Chess was captivating in his characteristic poses. But, truly Mani, when puppies sleep – or pretend to – they pull at our heart strings.