twenty years

Greetings and salutations, everyone; yes, once again it is I, your popular host, Mani the purebred border collie, here today to talk about this and that. You may remember me from such posts as “Nature Is Icky”, among so many, many others.

Here I am in a characteristic pose. You can see that the ramp has seen better days, as they say, though my days are pretty good, and that matters more. It’s just a ramp, in any case. Though it has gotten a bit springy. A ramp for aging purebred border collies, which I’m not. Aging, I mean. Well, maybe a little. But not aging like the guy I live with.

The garden looks slightly greener after the drizzle and then snow.

The sphaeralceas are flowering again. They’re not hugely showy but still nice.There are asters, too. Aster oblongifolius, anyway. The New England asters and things like that are long gone, now. The garden is too dry for them.That picture doesn’t show them purple enough, according to the guy I live with.
This is the same aster as Claude Barr’s Aster kumleinii ‘Dream of Beauty’, which is pink, and which used to grow here, but someone, not saying who, transplanted it and it died.

Today the guy I live with talked on the phone with his best friend, who’s in the nursery business, and they compared notes about which native plants would be doing well right now, because he thought he was missing out on a whole bunch of plants which just might be in flower in September. Most of them have grown here before, but things happened, the way they do.
So later on, like in a few months, there will be orders to Plants of the Southwest and Western Native Seed.

Meanwhile, there are some very non-native plants flowering, too, namely colchicums. I guess there’s been talk on the blog before about colchicums, and how they’re named after Colchis, and the Golden Fleece and stuff, like Jason and the Argonauts, and how super-poisonous they are (and how totally against the name “meadow saffron” the guy I live with is, because of that; saffron comes from crocuses, which are in the iris family, where colchicums are in the lily family), but the guy I live with really likes them.

World Champion’s Cup.

Disraeli.

These came from Daffodils and More, if you wanted to know.

The other plant thing, like you might say the other Plant Topic, is the cyclamen. There are cyclamen flowering in the garden right now (Cyclamen hederifolium and C. cilicicum), but there are also a whole bunch in the upstairs bedroom.
(You can also see one of the desert willow seedlings on the left, by the fan.)
The cyclamen were going to be planted out in the garden this year, but they guy I live with had to put off having the honey locust cut down, and he hasn’t worked out a method to have the existing cyclamen protected when huge branches fall on the ground, so the cyclamen are still upstairs. The stems of the leaves are elongating, because there isn’t enough light in the bedroom, but the guy I live with said that was okay, since they’re growing indoors and won’t go outside until next year.
One tiny disappointment has been with the seedlings of Cyclamen × whiteae; several germinated, but only one survived.
Cyclamen are pretty easy to grow from seed, even old seed germinates, if you do it right. (You sow the seed in a pot, as usual, then put the pot in a freezer bag which is just folded over at the top, not sealed, and then the pot and the bag go into the closet until the seed germinates, in a couple of weeks, more or less.)

And that’s the gardening news. I also have some striped news. We encountered a slight obstacle on our walk the other night, and had to turn around, even though there wasn’t really any threat. The guy I live with just said it was better than possibly getting sprayed.

So that’s how things have been going, here. We go to bed pretty late, around midnight or sometimes even later. The guy I live with gets into bed with his clothes on, and watches TV for a while (mostly Q.I.), and then we get up for Tinkle Time, which is kind of a “last call” before real bedtime.
Today, Tinkle Time was at 3:15 in the morning. The guy I live with got up, let me out, and then realized that today was the twentieth anniversary of the death of Pooka, a purebred border collie who lived here before me. He started to cry, because that day, twenty years ago, was very, very bad, and he said how his wife was so shaken by this, but he promised me extra hugs and cuddles on this day, and that would make everything much better.
And it did.

22 Responses to twenty years

1. Mee-yow wow Mani that bit of rain an snow DID ‘green’ alot of your gardenss up! An yore flowerss are lovelee. Wee have Black Eyed Susanss here doin their thing! LadyMew trimmed THE Ivy back a bit. Wee still not had flowerss on THE Hydrangea…sum of itss’ leevess are sorta ‘washed out’ lookin an pale. Wee not know what to do as wee had so much rain…maybee too much?
    An iss guud you gave Stripey THE ‘rite of way’. Pierre was out last nite an hee left us a peemail under bedroom window! Silly Skunk!
    Pleese give our sympaffiess to yore Guy over Pooka. LadyMew still criess over her 3rd cat Silky-Auburn who lived to bee 20 butt not all those yeerss with her…..shee sayss it meenss shee loved her alot. Maybee give yore Guy a few lick-kissess an take him fore a nice walk later.
    **purrss** an ~~head rubss~~BellaDharma~~ an gentell ((huggiess)) LadyMew too

Thanks; the guy I live with suddenly realized what day it was, and that it was an anniversary.
      I guess the main thing is how time flies.The guy I live with said he remembered that very bad day like it was yesterday, and yet it was twenty years ago.

• You know Mani Hu’manss can reememburr thingss from their childhood even…sumtimess guud things an sumtimess sad thingss.
        LadyMew told mee on August 17th it was 35 yeerss since her Brothur Dale was murdereed. Hee was only 25. Efurry yeer LadyMew reememburrs compleet deetail ’bout what happened.
        Time fliess fore Hu’manss beecause they keep time…wee 4 leggedss just go with lite an dark an 4 seesonss so wee have it easier mee thinkss>> What do you think Mani??
        **purrss** BellaDharma

I agree. I just go with the flow. Sometimes.
        I do remember where I saw things, like bunnies, but other than that, I’m mostly just in the present.

• Mew mew mew mee reememburss when mee seess Bunniess here too! An Golden Eyess or Samson stray man catss!! Mee REEMEMBURRSS 😉
        Oh an when it iss TREET Time! Now THAT iss werth reememburrin rite Mani? 😉

I know exactly when breakfast and dinner time are, but the guy I live with sometimes forgets the exact minute, and I have to remind him.

• Mew mew mew same here with LadyMew…shee will furget propurr time fore suppurr an mee has to walk all over her to reemind her!! Iss a guud thing mee eatss ,any small meelss a day so mee nevurr toetallee hungry Mani 😉

Dinner time here used to be at four o’clock, but one of the purebred border collies who lived here before me got the time pushed forward to 3:47. Not 3:46 or 3:48.
        Now dinner time is a few minutes after four. The guy I live with never forgets, though if it’s like quarter past then I begin to worry.

• Mew mew mew wee 4leggedss gotta keep our Hu’manss on their toesiess rite Mani??
        Mee getss 4-6 small mealss a day as mee iss tiny an can not eat alot at one time. An mee only eatss 10-12 peecess of kibbell purr day. Mee purrferss mee Weruva wet food an mee Salmon Pate…mmmm iss goin to bee snack time soon… 😉

I get salmon too. Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, kibble and then some canned on top. I’m not spoiled, of course.

• MMMM that salmon soundss tasty Mani!! LadyMew had a Shpherd/Husky mix named Bogart Sam an hee LOVED Salmon! It keeped his coat furry shiney shee told mee. Come to think of it, mee furss are furry shiney too! 😉

The only thing is that someone, not saying who, claims I have “salmon breath”. I get a teeth cleaner deal, made by Ark Naturals, for after dinner, which I really like.

• Mew mew mew ‘salmon breath’…yore Guy iss so funny! Iss guud you have an aftur dinner mint so to mee-yow (speek) to freshen yore breath fore yore Guy! 😉

Well, it’s semi-fresh, anyway.

• FRESH-ish werkss too Mani!! 😉

2. barbk52 says:

I’m sure you mainly think of happy things, Mani, like your next meal or your interest in black and white animals. Others of us, though, relive sad things over and over. The “superior” brain of the human often proves otherwise. Well I think I see the greener aspect in your pictures. It looks nice to those of us in the burning smoky hell which is Oregon. I am rethinking the quantities of vegetation around my house since now I realize wildfires can happen within blocks. The wind was fierce and stripped the top third of leaves and flowers from my Crape Myrtles. They look odd now. What would happen if a spark landed in your dry yard? Would your tough gray plants withstand it? A garden of bulbs would be good, I think.

This anniversary was a particularly bad one, though it might have been a little easier for the guy I live with had his wife not died. There was a connection there that he hasn’t completely explained to me, but he said we’ll just say it was bad and then go on walks tomorrow, which we did.
      I suppose if a spark landed in our garden the whole place would just go foom! There was some smoke today but nothing as bad as Oregon. It was pretty bad here years ago with the Hayman Fire; smoke so thick you couldn’t see to drive.
      The drizzle and snow did help make things look greener but the ground is very dry again, just like that. The weird thing here, and it is super weird, is that there has been no thunder or lightning here for about six weeks. Maybe longer.
      You know there are some things in life where it’s probably best not to say anything at all, like the guy I live with said when he watched that video of the guy riding his bike down the highway in Talent, at night, with everything burning on one side of the street. It was appalling, and reminded him of the recurring nightmare he had as a little kid (which he had forgotten about until just now), and it’s something he’ll never forget.

Extra cuddles and hugs? Do you ever get worn out? You certainly have a lot of work.