A while ago I posted a picture of a seed of Maihuenia patagonica germinating after being treated with GA-3. Well, it turns out that either I used too much GA-3, or treating this species results in seedling elongation.
I haven’t had this problem with anything else I’ve treated, but in this case I think the situation is hopeless. Yes, this is a cactus.
There is one seed germinating beside it; I decided to nick the seed, which is pretty large (visible in the picture), using my handy extra-sharp Opinel. One seed went down my pants (I don’t know how, it just did) and when I shook it out, I stepped on it and smashed it. One flew out of my fingers and an after an hour of crawling around the kitchen floor I gave up looking for it, but four or five have been nicked, and the results are very promising.