cabin fever

Hello everyone; it is I, Mani the purebred border collie, and a very tiny purebred border collie at that. The guy I live with says this introduction is supposed to go a different way, because I am a purebred border collie, but I’ve had three urpy car rides in three days, and, so, you know.

Here I am in a characteristic pose. (I got that right.) I don’t stand still for very long, except when I’m asleep. Even then, I sometimes run, a little. 15022603We have “cabin fever”. That’s what’s called an expression. We don’t have a cabin, and I know this because I learned to climb the stairs this morning, and have been everywhere in the house except for downstairs. I also noticed that there are dogs that look just like me in the glass things hanging on the walls, but the guy I live with says they won’t chomp me.

I learned to climb down the stairs just a while ago, and come when I’m called (well, sometimes), and am practicing staying in my fort in the kitchen. I have an important role to play in the household, here, and I’m working at it. Mostly.

Neither of us has a fever, either, though there is some feverish activity going on here, to help with the cabin fever, or so I’m told, and I did create quite a bit of excitement by being taken on a “good will tour” today where I got to meet some of the neighbors. They liked me.

I had my lunch just a little while ago. It took some time for me to get over the urping. I did suggest, rather loudly, to the guy I live with, that we get up at one o’clock this morning so I could do some eating, and, surprisingly, he got up, and we went downstairs. We went back to bed after that.

Oh, and also, I learned how to get into the real bed. I know that the guy I live with’s former buddy slept there, and died there several days ago, but as I said, my role here is super important, and I can hardly wait to get big enough so that it becomes my bed, and I can sleep in it just like his last buddy did, because that’s what we purebred border collies do, and I’m looking forward to a good, cozy life here.

I thought, since there were pictures taken today, that I would show some of the feverish activity going on here, which I have nothing to do with, naturally.

cactus seedlings

cactus seedlings

more cactus seedlings

more cactus seedlings

The “downstairs iris”. Don’t ask me. I just got here a couple of days ago. I know there are some strange things going on here, that have something to do with gardening, but how strange, I guess you’ll never know, because I just don’t understand them at all. As I said before, I’m little.

15022605

Iris lineolata subsp. grossheimii

The iris in the laundry room. The laundry room is downstairs, I’m pretty sure, and I don’t know why these are different from the “downstairs iris”. They just are, I guess.

15022606There are “upstairs iris” too, but how many pictures of iris can a person stand, anyway?

So that’s the gardening part of the blog. I get that it’s a requirement. The part about me is much better.

I discovered that there are some rules here. “No eating the pine cones” is the only one so far. This is this collection of pine cones that’s supposed to be really important or something. They were in the basket before I showed up. I tried to pretend that someone else had moved them, but the guy I live with didn’t believe me. 15022608Well, if I can’t chew on pine cones, things are pretty boring here right now. That’s why we have cabin fever.

I looked for something to read15022604but decided on a nap instead.15022609I did get to play in the snow in the back yard for quite a while, and that was fun. In fact, I have a short movie to show you, featuring me.

Pretty cute, huh? I liked it.

It’s exhausting being me, so I’ll let you go now.15022602

32 Responses to cabin fever

1. petabunn says:

Oh Mani 1 in the morning, your guy is truly wonderful to you isn’t he, getting up at that time because you are hungry. What a great time you had frolicking in the snow, I just wanted to be doing it too but no snow here. It’s good you are getting into reading as you will be able to learn more about the garden. Those iris are just looking fabulous. Enjoy your nap…

Thanks; I’m very good at napping. Right now we’re doing a fort trial, and I think I’m doing pretty well. I have to stay in my big fort if the guy I live with has to go somewhere, which he sometimes does, and the fort still has the Pottery Barn bathroom rug in it. It’s been cleaned, and is pretty pleasant to lie on. And a toy in case I get bored.

2. vivianswift says:

Uh-oh. I know that characteristic pose. I know that “look” that goes with that characteristic pose. Somebody, ahem, better lay in a supply of brie. Pure bred powder collie puppies are so bouncy and flouncy and pouncy in the snow. Fun fun fun. And then they curl up for a nap …Heart Be Still. Careful, tho, a pure bred border collie puppy can be so cute that they could break the internet.

3. Diane Lancaster says:

Hi, Mani. So nice to meet you! I sure enjoyed watching you play in the snow. It sounds like you’re well on your way to getting the guy you live with fully trained. Humans are usually pretty easy when it comes to that. Have fun exploring your new home!

Hi. I pretty much like it here, a lot, except I didn’t care for the fort trials the second time. I made a lot of noise. I’ve looked everywhere upstairs, except for the bedroom closet in the room where I sleep. (I sleep in a portable fort, and have a night light. I can watch the guy I live with sleep, too. For the few hours I let him, anyway.)

4. Knicky Twigs says:

The irises are coming along nicely. And I had to play that video a couple of time! Adorable!

I hear that the irises are doing well. I don’t really know what irises are, but whatever they are, they’re doing well. I guess I’ll learn later this year. I make a pretty good video, don’t I? The guy I live with said he was “sick of snow”, but I like it, and so he kind of qualified that statement, meaning for him.

5. Deborah Farrell says:

Hey, little dude, you make snow look FUN. Somehow I’d forgotten snow can be so good, maybe because ours has a thick, crunchy layer of ice over it. The pups I live with don’t like going out on it.

Snow is really fun. I spent a whole bunch of time today leaping around in the snow. Under a watchful eye, of course. We never have ice over snow, I hear; but we do under snow. I slid down the ramp this morning; it had a patch of ice on it; that was fun.

6. Adele says:

I read your post today with a big smile and some tears. I loved the picture of you in a characteristic pose. That’s what brought the tears too. Loved your little video. You are already quite a little character.

7. Alison says:

That little movie is delightful. I couldn’t help noticing “the guy who brought you here” has become “the guy you live with.” And you, smart wee doggie, have very quickly understood that you are truly the be-all and end-all of this blog. Not all that gardening stuff (although I find it interesting.)

Thanks. I think I agree. You know, someone asked the guy I live with a while ago (he told me this) if he didn’t sometimes think that the blog should have stayed with gardening, and he thought about it for a while, and said No. Gardening is great, I hear, and I already know he’s obsessed with it, but I can already tell that it’s us purebred border collies who really help him get through life (I heard what happened), and so that’s the true focus. I’ll still continue to show pictures of plants, and seeds, and the garden, so as not to be thought immodest. Even though purebred border collies are not known to be diggers, or dogs that crash though gardens once we’re asked not to, I might even learn to do some gardening; you never know.

8. I bet you have cabin fever, Mani – those cacti can be slow-growing. Loved the video, though I wondered if one of your leapy bounces through snow landed *very tiny* puppy paws on a stickie thing. But then, you would be sure to tell us, I realize. All the talk of “downstairs” and “the basement” and phoots of plants growing under lights reminds me of a legend in the rose world. Said legend In his Wisconsin basement hybridized roses and came up with some roses that gave him millionaire-many-times-over status, all because what he hybridized are great for just about any climate and demand little care. Municipalities and industrial parks all over the world grabbed them up. There’s probably some planted on a city-owned verge near you. The don’t knock me out, the roses. I’ve met the hybridizer, and he is a nice guy, much nicer than his taste in roses. Anyway, the millionaire guy;s day job was working for the Milwaukee Botanical Garden. You just might mention, Mani, to the guy who lives at your place that he might put his basement time to good use and become a millionaire too. I’m told the quality of available food goes up once that happens.

Thanks; actually, the cactus in the pictures (like Sclerocactus mesae-verdae) germinated in two days. The guy I live with told me he had sowed seed every winter for twenty-five years and nothing had happened, so he tried chipping the seed, and that worked. This one is an Endangered Species, so you have to get seed from Mesa Garden, because they have a permit. (The seed comes from stock plants at their nursery.) He says he’s too old to become a millionaire. And what would happen, if he did? He’d get a small ranch and get more if us purebred border collies, and the world would no longer revolve around me. He did say that if that happened (like if someone just sent him a check in the mail), it wouldn’t be in a place with much snow. I like snow. Maybe you can tell.

9. Janet in Virginia says:

precious video. Thanks for sharing.

10. Barb K says:

That video is the best! Our girls would like to bounce through the snow too, but we haven’t seen a flake all winter. They are half Malamute and half Heeler, so one half likes the snow and the other wants to come in and get warm. It’s a problem. Looking forward to your first meeting with Earl, and I know you’re asking “Who’s Earl?”.

Oh, I don’t know who Earl is. The guy I live with said today that he was sick of snow. Like that matters. He also said that Slipper, who was here before me, and passed away in 2010, liked to have his head cold and rear end warm, and would stand half-outside, half-inside, which is why the back door was left open all the time. It isn’t now, because of me.

11. Luisa says:

Mani, that little movie was the best ever. Glad you’re settling in! My boy Jasper loves to run big laps in the mountains with a pine cone, but sometimes a tiny bit of cone goes down his Sunday throat and makes him cough for a minute. The guy you live with is right — it’s probably best to leave pine cones alone. My border collie and her cur-dog brothers all send you a hug, and a lick, and congrats on the new, good, cozy life!

12. petabunn says:

Just read all the posts. You have it made in the shade Mani. It sounds like you have been there for weeks and I just realised you have been there for 3 days. How wonderful that you have settled in so easily, for both you and your guy. Whoops should have said the guy you live with. Sounds like you have brought him good luck with his plants and seeds. Now the pine cones have gone ask your guy to find a safe stick for you to chew on, you might like it like I used to as a puppy.

Thanks; plain rawhide chews are on the list, I hear. Though there are fingers to chew, and shoelaces, too. And plenty of toys, already broken in. I went down the street, carried of course, to meet the little girl who made the sympathy card, and get patted by her, and I met some other neighbors, and went out in the snow three or four times (not alone), and had a big dinner, and had a lot of cuddle time, and went up the stairs a lot, though not so much down (it’s scarier), and tested out my big new fort a few times. No car rides. Oh, and I also saw geese. A bunch of them flew right over my head. It was interesting; I watched them fly away. A pretty good day.

13. petabunn says:

Thank you Mani you brought a smile and joyful tears to my face