mice in the rice

Greetings and salutations, everyone; yes, once again it is I, Mani the purebred border collie, filling in for the guy I live with, and here to bring you the latest news from our garden. You may remember me from such posts as “Another New Toy”, among so many, many others.

Here I am in a characteristic pose. 16100308(This is a slightly different picture from the one of me on Facebook.)

Well, the last several days have been interesting. The guy I live with hurt his back, and so there was a lot, and I mean a lot, of moaning and groaning, including at least one cry of pain in the middle of the night when he moved in a way he shouldn’t have, but everything seems better now. He said he was very good at hurting his back, but hadn’t done it in years. It doesn’t sound like much fun.

I still did get to go on my walks, with even more moaning and groaning at the other end of the leash, and yet more when the guy I live with picked me up in his arms to protect me from an unleashed dog. Like I need protection. He reminded me that I did get attacked once before and it was only his lightning-fast reflexes, picking me up so I couldn’t be chomped, that saved the day.

If you want to talk about moaning and groaning, not to mention an awful lot of colorful language, you should have heard the guy I live with when he took a couple of small boxes downstairs to put on the shelves in the laundry room. He had to move the almost full bag of jasmine rice, and when he did, a couple of mice ran out of the bag, and guess how much rice went all over the laundry room floor?

We don’t have any jasmine rice now.

So, anyway, it’s been dry here, and some watering has been done. It doesn’t seem to be having much effect. Things aren’t dead, but there’s a lot of drooping foliage and unhappy-looking plants. The garden is still here, though. dsc_0141There are crocuses and colchicums and cyclamen flowering, and a lot of other things, but not hugely showily, just flowering, if you know what I mean.

As I said, I still get to go on my walks. The guy I live with took his camera this time. (Well, obviously, I guess, huh.)

At first, we headed into the sunset, like a couple of cowpokes. 16100301Then we turned, the way we always do, and walked down the canal road. 16100303There is still water in the canal. 16100302The Virginia creeper is turning colors now.16100304Quite a bit farther east, the canal makes a small turn, and then straightens out again, and the banks aren’t so steep, and so I got to go in the water the other day. The water was not exactly what I would call warm. The guy I live with said it’s because it comes from the mountains.

We didn’t go that way this evening, because of another unleashed dog, so we turned and walked along the creek, on the north side of the canal. And then turned back to the canal road. The guy I live with says the dead tree was an elm, maybe. The ashes seeded there, the way they have all over the place. The rip-rap isn’t very attractive, is it?

16100305Then we headed home. The field still looks fairly green. The guy I live with says it’s the smooth brome. The field was mowed so many times this year, for unknown reasons, that we couldn’t find the old path we used to go on. It was covered with dead grass. The guy I live with says we’ll work on that later in the way; maybe make a new path. 16100306You might be able to see that pile of dirt. The guy I live with thinks flowers, and other things, are interesting, but we purebred border collies find things like this even more interesting. It wasn’t there a week or so ago.

There was a hole dug to make a new sewer connection for the house you can’t see on the right; I got to go up and look at the huge hole, and meet the guys who were digging the hole. That was very interesting.

And for some reason, there was more dirt left over after they dug the hole and filled it back in.

You can see how pinkish it is. It might look awful, but it’s really gritty, decomposed sandstone, and makes good garden soil. Minus the big rocks, of course. 16100307

Oh. I was almost going to sign off, but I forgot about the movies. We had an invasion of blackbirds this evening.

Then they flew away.

I guess that’s it for today. dsc_0136

14 Responses to mice in the rice

1. Karen Cox says:

Mani you are the cutest!

2. Susan ITPH says:

The rocks in the soil look awfully familiar. I live on ancient alluvial deposits and that’s what we’ve got. Lots of “potatoes.” Helps keep things aerated, though as they move around a lot in freeze-thaws. Rain is a comin’.

3. Barb K says:

Unleashed dogs and mice perhaps won’t be the cause of the end of the world but they are very unpleasant. When my girl was confronted by a large pit bull (not an aggressive one) she produced a large lake of urine and he was completely distracted by the bounty of sniffing and we got away. Maybe not an option for you since you were probably not afraid, right? I think I remember reading that you had stopped walking along the canal because of excessive mowing and trimming and were walking elsewhere. But now you’re back and that’s good because the pictures are interesting. I wonder what makes the birds congregate like that. They do it here too but when they all fly away it makes me wonder if an earthquake is coming.

Yes, both are quite unpleasant. The guy I live with brought home a new Tin Cat yesterday, and there were three mice in it, last night. This morning there were three more. “Six too many.” They were coming in through holes chewed in the baseboard downstairs, so more major work needs to be done down there, and then also under the door to the crawlspace. Probably because of the rice, which is now gone, but maybe they can still smell. Today, though, I saw a rat on my morning walk. Not a muskrat, or a pack rat, but a rat rat. It was a late rat, though. (You know, like “a late parrot”.) Maybe something dropped it. The guy I live with says he never saw rats here until a couple of years ago. We still haven’t been able to walk all the way down the creek path. I don’t know why the birds showed up in the tree; maybe they were having a meeting.

4. Bruno says:

“You might be able to see that pile of dirt. The guy I live with thinks flowers, and other things, are interesting, but we purebred border collies find things like this even more interesting.”
    Of course i’m not a purebred border collies but i agree with you…

5. Knicky Twigs says:

Very chirpy, those black birds. Unleashed dogs, huh? The bane of civilized dogs (and their humans) everywhere. The humans always think *their* dogs can be off leash, because “it’s the natural order”. And then they are shocked when they attack. Ugh.

6. Hmmm. Does the guy you live with’s wrenched back have anything to do from picking you up in a flurry and a half to save the unleashed dogs from your vengeance? My little Shredder was once attacked by a dog who pulled his leash from the walker’s hands. You never know. And you looking like such a sweet border collie, pure bred and all, in your photos today. I think your garden looks sweet too, but maybe that is because I’m used to regarding the dryness of my garden. At least your guy you live with has some sort of a high-and-dry plan in mind. You live in a very lovely high and dry spot, Mani, as evidenced by the glimpses of what’s around you on your walks. Stay safe and stay alert. Bad cess to the mice.

Thanks; well, the mice have been captured in the Tin Cat. Repeatedly. There was some tearing out of walls earlier today, and quite a bit of colorful language. His bank went out before I had to be picked up, but picking me up made it worse. Of course. Um …..it’s raining here. Not a lot, but I still get wet when I go outside. At first, the guy I live with said “End of the world as we know it”, but then he realized that the street were damp because of rain.

7. Lee Recca says:

Wow! A lot going on. Take care of your guy, Mani!