snow, snow, and more snow

Greetings and salutations, everyone; yes, once again it is I, your popular host, Mani the purebred border collie, here today to talk about the peculiar and stressful things that have been going on here. You may remember me from such posts as “The Endless Winter”, among so many, many others.

Here I am in a characteristic pose.As maybe you can tell by the title of my post, it’s been snowing. Every other day now. Snow, then more snow, then more snow. Below normal temperatures almost every day.
The guy I live with is pretty depressed about this; he would rather be gardening than slipping around on the ice and stuff.

But whatever, right? In the next picture you can see one of the frames; this has snowdrops in it, and we looked at them today.

I think this one is ‘Little Ben’.

This is Galanthus fosteri. It’s been flowering for a while, now.

So at least we have these to look at.

Despite the fact that the guy I live with would really prefer to avoid major things, something extra major is going on here.
The sewer drain needs to be replaced. It’s going to be done next Tuesday. The guy I live with said it would cost a lot of money, but he’s been worrying about it for several years now. In fact, every time he goes down into the laundry room he looks at the drain grate there, to see if there’s water overflowing.
That did happen last week, and so a couple of guys came out and “snaked” the line. I watched. Then the next day someone came out and ran a camera through the line. That was pretty interesting.

So a thing called a backhoe is going to drive into the front yard and dig a hole. Of course there are plants in the way.
The guy I live with worked out in the cold and snow and dug up a few of them. They’re in pots in the garage. He also asked an oak expert if the little oaks could be dug up. Yes, they could, so he dug up the one that would have been flattened, for sure.
He dug up a bunch of big cactus, too. They can sit outside in pots.The manzanita (Arctostaphylos patula) in the lower left can’t be dug up and will be lost. The guy I live with said that that was the way things go.

The “snake” did remove enough roots in the pipe that our plumbing is still usable. The guy I live with did a small load of laundry today and nothing untoward happened.
He said he never took being able to run a washing machine for granted. Well, maybe just a little.
He told me a story of a time in March, back when days in March were nice (they’re predicting below normal temperatures for this March), out in the garden, and he told his wife that maybe he was taking her for granted. She looked at him and he realized right then and there that he never took her for granted. She died two months later.
He said he learned a lesson.

It would be nice if it stopped snowing, for a while, but it’s supposed to snow tomorrow, and Sunday, and Monday, and Tuesday. Highly unusual for this time of year, but the guy I live with said that things were unusual, these days.

Anyway, I get to look for mice and voles, out in the snow, on my walks. I never find any.

16 Responses to snow, snow, and more snow

1. Mark Mazer says:

There are dogbeasts out East that are now snow jealous. Wish I could admit that we never took her for granted. Sigh.

Well the snow is powder on top of harder snow. No fun to walk in, really. The guy I live with complains a lot; he hyperextends his knees all the time. Muscles are still weakish.
      He still has plenty of regrets, though.

2. barbk52 says:

Do all those footprints in the snow belong to you? Well the sewer line story is everyone’s nightmare. What about trying to dig up the manzanita? It’s very pretty. You never know, maybe it would survive…or is it just too big to even try? That is a shame. My sewer line is actually on the neighbor’s property, due to a mistake long ago. I don’t even know how old it is because there was once a septic. There are huge weeping conifers right over it. Who would do that? Plant giant trees over a sewer line? Well I try not to think about it. I will think about your problems instead.

I think the manzanita is too old; roots going down, well, for sure into the sewer drain. Kind of gross to think about, maybe.
      It was pretty cool to see into that hidden realm, though right at the end, when it stopped and the actual sewer was visible, that was a bit scary. The guy I live with said we could have put this off, since he can do laundry, but if we did, he would be worrying about it constantly, and eventually it would have to be done anyway.
      Most of the footprints in the snow are mine. The others are not those of dogs. I checked.

3. Mee-yow wow Mani there iss ALOT goin on at yore place!!! Wee sorry you has to have werk dun on THE line butt it soundss impawtent fore sure! An back hoess are furry kewl masheenss! Mee (like ‘angel’ Unkell Siddhartha an ‘angel’ Aunty Nylablue) LOVESS masheenss!
    An gettin thingss fixed so laundry can bee dun withou floodin iss a furry guud thing! Mee sorry you mite lose a few plantss…just keep lookin at yore purrty Snowdropss!! An meowin ’bout snow youss’ sure have ALOT!!! So much snow…even wee not have that much!
    You do look happy inn yore fotoss’ walkin an snoopin inn THE snow…..mee thinkss THE moless an voless are sleepin underground 😉
    An taken thingss fore granted iss sorta normal accordin to LadyMew. Butt shee sayss yore ‘guy’ iss not that sorta purrson. An LadyMew no longer takess thingss or peepel for granted…..
    Stay safe mee frendss!
    ***purrsss*** BellaDharma

Thanks; the guy I live with says that nest Tuesday will be a fairly scary day, with this giant thing coming at me.
      We also have to get up at five-thirty in the morning. Today we got up at quarter to ten, so you can see the hardship there.
      I like the snow, but it’s hard for the guy I live with to walk in. He has a walking stick, called a “Texas Traveler”, which helps him a lot.
      There are mice in the garden; I’ve seen them. They like rummaging around the “thistle” seed that falls from the feeders that the goldfinches visit.

4. ceci says:

Ah, so that is what is happening when the dogs burrow their noses into the snow – varmint hunting! Makes things clearer. Not that there is snow here to hunt or walk in, just seemingly endless rain. And snow drops, dozens of snow drops!

Good luck with the pipe replacement – we were lucky that our big one so far was just in the crawl space vs outside. There IS a big water main under a huge old tree out front, I dread developments in that regard.

ceci

Yes, there are voles under the snow, out in the field. We see their tunnels every now and then. The guy I live with took some pictures of the tunnels but we never posted them. Sometimes there are mice, but mostly in the garden, and in the garage.
      The guy I live with has always hated snow and ice, but we still live here. He’s explained that to me several times. Just last week he was looking at houses for sale in a place called “Sun City” but he said I would hate the summers there, so we aren’t moving, though he said becoming what he called a “snow bird” is “suddenly attractive”.
      It’s the clay pipe that starts just outside the foundation of the house. Hopefully the oak and the desert willow that got dug up will survive, and be replanted in a couple of years. It’s not as easy to find such things as it used to be, here.

Can voles be trained to clean out sewer lines?

6. Ah, dear dog, you will indeed have excitement come Tuesday, although I am continually surprised Shredder and Petey are so sanguine in the noise of street tree trimming and subsequent grinding. So perhaps you, yourself, a superior pure-bred Border Collie, will be totes zen. We can only hope. I can tell your guy likes his snowdrops a lot by the sight of how regulated and well-taken-care-of his cases are. Of course, I also can tell what is most valued in your household by how well-taken-care-of – not to say spoiled, ahem – a Certain Party is. And, truly, I’m amazed at how clean your surrounds appear, given the state of the outside. You must be one neat and tidy dog, Mani.

Thanks, I am. The guy I live with says I wash myself like a cat. That’s kind of gross.
      I guess we’re supposed to get more snow tomorrow. The guy I live with said this might never end. There are normally a herd of snowdrops flowering in the garden on the north side of the house, but not this year. He said he couldn’t remember a time when he wasn’t cold, but then there was last summer, with all the heat. The cold has driven out all his memories of warmth. Temperatures “below seasonal normals” (except for today; he dug up more plants in the front yard), just like last winter.
      I’m not sure what a “backhoe” is, but if it was that thing I saw a few days ago, one street over, then I probably won’t like it. He said they were replacing the sewer drain there, too; it’s like a feature of this neighborhood.
      You may have noticed that the snowdrops in the lower left quarter of the frame are not growing in pots. I understand that that was a major mistake, and if it ever stops being cold here, something will be done about it.