more changes

Greetings and salutations, everyone; yes, once again it is I, your popular host, Mani the purebred border collie, here today to bring you up to date on all the changes going on around here. You may remember me from such change-related posts as “Another Change”, and “A Slight Change”, among so many, many others.

Here I am in a characteristic pose.Maybe you can see that the cart full of plants that was sitting on the patio is gone now. Everything has been planted and watered, or put into one of the frames for winter.
There was a lot of extra space in the frames because the crocuses in the pots all rotted, except for one pot, where the corms were fine. (The ones that rotted had too much organic matter in the mix; the guy I live with wasn’t thinking all that clearly when he filled the pots.)
You can also see the little trees, which will be planted later this month. They’re Juglans microcarpa, the little walnut from Oklahoma, Texas, and adjacent Mexico.

Dozens of bulbs have been planted. You should have heard the language used when the guy I live with sliced through bulbs with the trowel. There are bulbs everywhere in the garden, so it wasn’t surprising that this happened.

There are lots of crocuses in flower; the guy I live with has been watering, some. This phone picture doesn’t reproduce the color of Crocus speciosus properly, but here are the crocuses anyway.They’re all over the garden, really. Ants collect the seeds and spread them everywhere. The guy I live with also suspects that mice eat a lot of the corms.

The cottonwoods along the creek, to the north of us, are changing color.
It hasn’t rained much here. Maybe one millimeter since the first of August. So things are kind of weird here. As usual, I guess. But the lack of rain is disturbing to the guy I live with.

The really weird thing, though, is that a lot of work has been done in the garden.
The lilacs are being cut down. So now there’s the path behind the Long Border. The guy I live with transplanted a native sumac, Rhus trilobata, next to the lilacs, and hopes that he’ll be able to plant more, next year.
Of course the sumac doesn’t smell like lilacs do when it flowers, but it does flower every year, has nice autumn color, and isn’t wilted all summer.
The very strange thing is that now my Private Lawn isn’t so private; we can see right across it to the field. (There’s a big pile of branches there, too.)
The guy I live with has trouble working in the garden, since he has some issues with his legs, knees, back, etc., so I was surprised at all the work. He did come inside every now and then to rest a bit.

Well, so, that’s what’s been going on lately. We saw an owl, and every now and then the guy I live with says he sees a large snake head, with eyes watching him, when he turns the faucet on or off.

I’ll leave you with a picture of me, supervising the lilac removal business, and making sure this part of the garden is free from flying, stinging things.

18 Responses to more changes

1. Paddy Tobin says:

Mani, you lead by example – resting in the shade rather than working in the hot sun! Someone might well follow that example!!! But, one could not but compliment himself on the enormous amount of work that has been done in the garden!

Watch out for that snake – I feel a shiver down my spine even at the mention of it.

It’s surprising how much work has been done. And you can see that there’s a fairly large area that had no plants in it, because the lilacs were in the way.
      The hedge has been here for at least 30 years but has almost always annoyed the guy I live with, even though he planted it. There were only a few years when the lilacs were spectacular in flower, but even then, they just sat there for the rest of the year.
      The guy I live with said he should charge people not to show pictures of our guest. It’s only five feet long and four inches wide.
      Just yesterday he showed the picture to one of our neighbors, who’s from New Zealand where they don’t have snakes, I guess, and she looked at it with a shudder, but her kids enjoyed looking at the picture.

• Paddy Tobin says:

When we have plants, even lilacs, for many years they become part of the garden and we find it hard to imagine the space without them. Once we take the plunge and clear them out we can have a different vision of the place.

So very true. The guy I live with had to cut down three conifers that had died from the “new, really gross weather here”, and the garden looks totally different. Actually, better, he says.
        The big honey locust needs to be cut down, too, and that will make things look very different indeed. No more locust pods. (The purebred border collies who lived here before me liked to snack on the pds. I prefer pine cones.)
        But also no more shade for the hundreds of cyclamen.

• Paddy Tobin says:

There’s always change in the garden.

So true. In life as well.

tee hee – “little walnut”. That is funny. I am not familiar with that species, but was not investigating walnuts in Oklahoma either.

That’s what they call it. Or Texas walnut, or Texas black walnut. Not a big tree like regular walnuts. Grows in Kansas and New Mexico, too (I guess they don’t call it “Texas walnut” there).

3. Mee-yow wow! Guy you sure did alot of gardenin werk. THE long pathway lookss grate an havin THE garden more open lookss lovelee. Guud greef Mani you need RAIN! Wee get some efurry week here…apposta have more tomorrow. If wee cuud send you sum; wee wuud!
    Wee have had dayss with sunshine an warm from 10 A Em til 2 Pee Em an then it iss kewl like Autumm shuud bee. Our leevess are slowly changin; it is like they do NOT want to leeve~~~ Outside of town leevess are beeuteefull…go figure!
    Wishin you only guud dayss Mani an Guy!
    ***purrss*** BellaDharma an ((huggiess)) BellaSita

Thanks; same to you. It’s very dry here. So dry that the guy I live with said he wouldn’t mind some snow, so long as it melted and then warmed up afterward. Might help with the plague of grasshoppers here, too.
      It rained here yesterday; about fifty drops.

• WOW that iss too dry Mani! An hippyhoppy Grasshoppurrss efurrywhere!?!?!? YIKESS!!!
        Do they get innto yore place?? Wee had a Cricket this Summer…hee was fun to chase. Then BellaSita took him outside (saved him) an mee cuud not eat him….
        Apparently mee iss NOT alloud to eat Cricketss…. *sighss*
        Oh nose…you had a hole 50 rain dropss! Wee had sum rain last nite an mee willed it to go to youss’…
        Sorry my magick failed! 😦 BellaDharma

It’s really dry here. We do occasionally have grasshoppers jump into the house, but not very often.
        The guy I live with says they make dog food out of crickets. Really and truly.

• Cricketss used fore Poochie food??? Mee-yow Mani that iss furry sad….mee nevurr eated a Cricket. Played with them sure; butt mee cuud not eat them…EEWWWW!!!
        Have you efurr eaten a Cricket?? Mee jsut cure-euss?

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a cricket, though there was one in the kitchen about a month ago. It was really loud, chirping away. It was finally rescued and put outside.
        But, yes, they do use them for food. Dead, dried, and ground up.

4. Mark Mazer says:

Rhus trilobata: According to the USDA Plant Database Map, there is a native population a little bit North of here on the Delmarva peninsula in Worcester County, Virginia . Strange. Will look for one to try here in NE North Carolina.

The guy I live with says he thinks that’s a different species, though some botanists have lumped it with R. aromatica.
      It’s a pretty smelly plant, like if I brush up against it, then I come into the house reeking of sumac. Sour graham crackers is the way he describes it. I’ve never had a graham cracker.