mistletoe and snow

Greetings and salutations, everyone; yes, once again it is I, Mani the purebred border collie, filling in for the guy I live with, and here to bring you up to date on the news from our garden. You may remember me from such posts as “Not Spring”, among so many, many others.

Here I am in a characteristic pose. This isn’t the old biscuit-on-the-head ploy; I was just thinking about things, the way I do.

I spent almost three days at Day Care this week. It wasn’t technically Day Care, though I did get to participate in that. I spent two nights there, because the guy I live with and his friend went to a place called Santa Fe, where he talked. I’m not sure why they had to go there to talk, because he can certainly talk here. Oh, can he talk.

I guess they had a good time. The guy I live with said he saw something called a roadrunner. He’d never seen one before. There wasn’t a coyote and an anvil, either. (I didn’t get that part.) They went to Agua Fria Nursery (he didn’t get any pictures there), and also Plants of the Southwest. The guy I live with would like our back yard to look like this.He said he really liked both nurseries.

The place at which they stayed was surrounded by junipers and there was mistletoe growing in them.

He said it had the texture of hard rubber. It’s hard to imagine.

They saw pronghorns, which are a kind of antelope, on the way back. They’re there, you just have to look. (This picture was taken with the point-and-shoot set at bursts, while they were driving along at about eighty miles per hour. That’s a hundred and twenty-eight kilometers per hour.)

So they came home. Not much has happened since then. It was a lovely spring day, yesterday.

Today, and I know this will seem an awful lot like a metaphor, I was worried that the guy I live with had given up on me. I was all ready to go on my walk, wearing my harness, and nothing was happening. You can see how pathetic I look.I did get to go on my walk (he’d just forgotten something he needed to bring with him on my walk), so this sad look was entirely wasted. I bet I can use it again, some time in the future.

But no one here is hugely happy right now. This is what the back yard looked like about an hour ago.They say we’re supposed to get about a foot of snow (that’s thirty centimeters) and maybe the coldest temperatures in almost two months. The guy I live with really loathes snow at this time of year.

Of course there isn’t much he can do about it. My approach is to have a biscuit on the couch, very close to my Lamb Chop, and take things as they come.

12 Responses to mistletoe and snow

1. Nell says:

Oof! Truly it takes nerves of steel to garden there. I hope the guy you live with has something Lambchop-like for himself to get through this snow. Maybe plants from the visited nurseries?

2. vivianswift says:

Yee Gads. Snow this late in April is reason enough to move way, way far way, farther even than the way back. But I suspect that this kind of April showers is way OK for a pure bred boarder collie, bred to the heartiness of the highlands and all, altho that last shot of you snuggled up in the sweet spot tells me that you appreciate the comforts of al things cozy.

Here on the Isle of Long we had our first truly seasonable day of warmth, high of 83 degrees: breakfast on the patio, cocktails out on the lawn, feets in the flip flops for the first time this year, which necessitates a whole other kind of comfort in a glass, something with lots of ice cubes that chill and clink merrily.

Well, it can snow here, and snow a lot, until the end of May. And be 83 degrees in between that time. It’s still snowing, by the way. The guy I live with is totally against it. He said that being totally against something like snow has no effect on the snow at all. And that some people talk like it might. But it doesn’t. I’ve never had cocktails on the lawn. I’ll have to ask about that.

3. Mark Mazer says:

“very close to my LambChop, and take things as they come”
    I met Shari Lewis, LambChop’s mommy, in 1962 as a pre-teen at a NY Coliseum pet show. A very special, talented person, like your Cindy.

4. Humph. I spent yesterday with my toes in sand, sipping champagne, watching the surf. Clearly the guy you live with’s snowy garden pic is doctored as much as the pronghorn long shot is counterfeit. I know a kangaroo when I see one. The Aussie Heritage Rosers stopped the bus outside of Melbourne just so we Yanks could see a group hopping around. I’m not even convinced the first garden shown is not of your own garden. Sure looks all excellent exactly like your own. And! that isn’t sadness you were displaying in late-for-the-walk, it was pure despair.
    I better take my grumpiness and depart. I think it’s because, you know, Mani, Santa Fe.

The guy I live with said Santa Fe was okay. All the houses were the same color, and only one story. Here there would be apartment houses darkening the streets. He also says there used to be pronghorns just south of town, in an area he worked. The snow has almost all melted; the garden is soaked. That’s a good thing, I hear, except there’s some talk of mud, now. I can hardly wait.

5. bittster says:

A warm trip, a few nursery visits and pronghorns. I think you missed out! but then daycare can be fun too.
    Although the mistletoe looks interesting I just don’t trust a plant without roots. Even duckweed has roots.

Maybe I did miss out. I didn’t get to see the roadrunner. On the other hand, I got to play for almost three days, while the guy I live with and his friend drove to Santa Fe and back, which is twelve hours riding in the car. The guy I live with was going to say that mistletoe has toes, but decided not to. People might think he was strange.