the filter (an interlude)

Greetings and salutations, everyone; yes, once again it is I, your popular host, Mani the purebred border collie, here today to present a short interlude; a cautionary tale, if you will. You may remember me from such posts as “The Caterpillars”, among so many, many others.

Here I am in a characteristic pose. I was waiting, ever so patiently, to go on my evening walk.
Well, I’m not really sure what to say about any of this, so I’ll just submit it for your approval, and leave it at that.

It’s been cold here. Not anywhere near as cold as it can get here, but still cold. Snow and ice and boots and stuff. Cold like that. Below freezing. Nice during the day, though.

The guy I live with has been thinking about the furnace. Specifically, the furnace filter. You know, the one you change every so often.
The filter hadn’t been changed in a while, but the guy I live with was unable to define what “a while” meant.
I know he’s been down in the crawlspace since I came to live here, but I don’t recall any talk of filters.

As you may know, if you’ve been reading the blog for a while, there was a yellowjacket nest in the crawlspace, and so the guy I live with was, well let’s just say ultra-hesitant about going down into the crawlspace while the yellowjackets were still flying around.
But he was still thinking about the filter.

Also as everyone knows, there’s this thing called Covid going around (the guy I live with’s whole family has it now; they’re more or less okay, since everyone was vaccinated), but the guy I live with is hesitant, not ultra-hesitant but still cautious, about going out.
Especially to hardware stores, where few people wear masks for some reason.
You get furnace filters at hardware stores. (Also at the grocery store, I guess.)

So the guy I live with did some of his usual thinking, and ordered a box of filters online.
They came the other day.

And then yesterday, or the day before (I forget now), the guy I live with got his screwdriver (part of a set that’s over seventy-five years old, not that that has anything to do with the story), took that downstairs, with the box of filters, removed the tape from the crawlspace door (the tape was there in case yellowjackets tried to get into the house, which they did anyway, but apparently only to come inside and die), opened the door, turned on the light, and this is what he saw.
A brand new filter.
I’m sure there’s a lesson to be learned here, but I’m not doing any teaching.

The old filter was removed, and a new one was installed. It took hardly any time at all.
This is what the old filter looked like:
No wonder the house smelled dusty when the heat was turned on.
The filter had probably been installed when his wife was still here; she’s been gone almost thirteen years now.
I think there’s another lesson here, too.

He also looked at the yellowjacket nest, and decided not to remove it until later, when he had more energy and willpower. It was abandoned, for sure.

I’m sure the guy I live with feels good about having done all of this, and checking off something on his long list of things to worry about.

I hope you enjoyed this little interlude, though I suppose it’s not necessary for you to feel like you need to write any of this down for future reference. There’s a funny story about the light upstairs…though maybe I’ve already told that one, or perhaps Chess, the purebred border collie who lived here before me, told that story. It might be hidden in one of the over one thousand posts on this blog. You never know.

I’ll leave you with a picture of me, watching over the guy I live with, when he was lying on the bed after putting drops in his ear.

18 Responses to the filter (an interlude)

You species is so tolerant and gracious in regard to what you might perceive as inanity.

2. Paddy Tobin says:

It is unusual to see you without snow, Mani! We share that hesitancy about going out and about and mixing with people though all restrictions on movement and socialising have been removed here – there is still a requirement to wear masks in shops, including hardware stores, but that is not a big demand. Lists, lists, lists – I am a man of lists and of keeping notes for, otherwise, I would forget all those little jobs which need to be done. And, as for shopping, I ordered a pair of shoes online last night, something I have never done before and never imagined I would do for one really prefers to try on shoes for size, feel and comfort etc before purchasing them. However, these were of a make I had already so it was a repeat order so to speak and I’m sure they will be just fine. Enjoy the dust-free heating!

The guy I live with has ordered all his shoes online for quite a while. This has resulted in one or two pair more than he needs.
      There’s a notebook right here by the laptop so that he can write stuff down. That’s weird for someone with a memory like his, but he gets distracted by stuff.
      There’s a requirement to wear masks here, too, but some people just ignore it.
      We have about six inches of snow, now. I had to wear my boots on my evening walk. The guy I live with is disappointed, and says that the main snowdrop display will be put off for a while, but after the fires last year, the snow is welcome, at least in that respect.

3. Elaine says:

Mani you make an excellent supervisor. I can understand why the guy you live with was reluctant to go into where the yellow jackets were but remind him he should change his furnace filter much more frequently or he will burn out the furnace motor. That would really be a story. Stay warm.

The filter is in a separate compartment from the motor, so that was okay.
      He still has to deal with the nest, but there was a black widow right by the next, and he wasn’t sure if it was alive or not. So there’s going to be more thinking here.

4. Tracy Perez says:

Your furnace will run a lot more efficiently with clean filters. I have to replace mine monthly or the furnace stops and i have to call the repair people.

The filter is kind of a long way away from the motor. I guess if we decide to get air conditioning the ducts will have to be cleaned. Most of the registers have hardware cloth under the plate, from the time when we had mice in the house and the guy I live with couldn’t figure out how they were getting into the house. (Turns out they were coming in through the crawlspace and chewing through the drywall in the closet.)
      Though we might not get air conditioning. It’s probably just a lot of talk.

5. Thiss sure ISS an interlude Mani…..
    Mee has a questshun? Did Guy all reddy have a mew (new) filtur an found it AFTUR hee bott THE other oness?
    An BellaSita Mum sayss 13 yeerss iss far too long fore 1 filtur do last….it lookss purrty wrecked……
    An Guy cuud you not call a Xterminator purrson?? Wee wurry you are goin to get hert if them nasty Yellow Jackitss reetern….wee terryfied of them here!
    An Mani wee sorry you have to wear yore bootiess again! Butt THE snow will water THE ground……you due look adoorabell inn yore fotoss.
    Wee sendin more POTP to Guy to feel all bettur soon!
    **nose bopss** BellaDharma an ((huggiess)) BellaSita Mum